With five kids, it seems like it’s always someone’s birthday at our house! Birthday parties can get expensive, so here are some of my money-saving ideas when it comes to party-planning.
Pin for later!
Planning a Birthday Party on a Budget
- Limit the number of guests! This one seems kind of obvious, but can be hard to manage depending on your child’s age. Between kindergarten and second grade or so, it may seem customary to invite the entire class! However, sit your kids down and really talk to them about which friends are particularly special and which ones they need to have at their party. Just like a wedding; invite the most special friends!
- Have the party at home! This will allow you to avoid the special features and extra expenses of a themed party at a specific venue. And with a party at home, you can really get creative with your child and customize it to their preferences! To save more money, keep the decorations from each year and recycle them for the next child!
- Don’t serve a big meal! Having the party between meal times (let’s say, having a nice mid-afternoon party) means you don’t need to provide lunch or dinner! Cake will do just nicely.
- Use a Homemade Birthday Cake! Have fun with it! Your child can help you make the cake and even decorate with different frostings!
- Cut down on goodie bags! Invest in only gifts you know your child and their friends will really benefit from.
Hope these cheap party ideas have helped! Enjoy these special days with your child, the years really do fly by!