5 Best Booster Seats of 2021
- August 25, 2021
- by Melissa Lawrence
Hi, moms and dads! If you’re looking for a car seat for an infant or toddler, then please go read my guide to choosing an infant car seat. The guide you’re reading now is addressed to parents of bigger kids.
Do You Need a Booster Seat?
In short, booster seats are for kids that have outgrown the front-facing car seat. In the United States, the law of most states require the use of a booster seat from that point up to a certain age. Why? Mainly because the straps in your car are designed for adult-sized bodies, and while I’m sure you can’t believe just how big your little one has gotten, they’re not there yet!
Booster seats address this problem by raising up your kid, so that the straps fall on appropriate locations of their body. Hence, these seats typically feature no straps of their own, but just use the ones already in your car. So, without further ado, here’s my review of the best booster seats, with notable features and height and weight requirements.
1. Diono Monterey XT Booster Seat
I’m starting with the Diono Monterey XT for two reasons. The first reason is that it’s exceptionally customizable, compared with the rivals. You have a lot of freedom to adjust the height and weight of this seat, or even to remove the back entirely, as well as two recline positions. So you’re sure to get the best possible fit for your kid. You can also get a lot of mileage out of this seat, as it supports children up to 120 pounds and 63 inches.
Secondly, it’s a beautiful seat, without doubt one of the most stylish on the market. It comes with two retractable cupholders, and parents appreciate the sturdiness and padding of it. The price is on the higher side, but it strikes me as a good deal.
2. Graco Tranzitions SnugLock 3-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat
- Size and weight: 19 x 17.4 x 26.5 inches, 15 pounds,
- Range: 22 to 100 pounds, up to 57 inches
- Notable for: dependable seat with long range of use
- Overall: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This Graco Tranzitions seat is a good deal if you’re looking for a reliable seat that will grow with your child for a long time. It supports three modes: harness, high-back, and backless. Hence it can support a child starting at just 22 pounds and going all the way up to 100 pounds or 57 inches. Parents are overwhelmingly satisfied with the quality of the seat and the ease of the SnugLock installation.
3. Chicco KidFit 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat
- Size and weight: 32.75 x 16.5 x 18.75 inches; 10 pounds
- Range: 40 to 110 pounds, 38 to 57 inches
- Notable for: affordable seat with generous, kid-approved padding
- Overall: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Chicco KidFit is a more affordable option for a booster seat. With only two modes, it has a more limited weight and height range, respectively 40-110 pounds and 38-57 inches. However, what parents most like about this seat is the ErgoBoost double foam padding, which makes many kids happy. You also get collapsible cupholders. The Chicco KidFit is, in sum, a great bargain.
4. Graco TurboBooster Highback Booster Seat
- Size and weight: 15 x 16.5 x 26.5 inches; 8.4 pounds
- Range: 40 to 100 pounds, up to 57 inches
- Notable for: most inexpensive option that will last
- Overall: ⭐️⭐️⭐️
This is a super affordable option for those of you parents seeking the best bang for your buck at a low price. It has a more limited weight range of 40 to 100 pounds, and isn’t made of the most premium materials. However, it has everything you need: the required safety features, retractable cupholders, and padded armrests.
5. Nuna AACE Booster Car Seat
- Size and weight: 16 x 21.5 x 32.5 inches, 14.7 pounds
- Range: 40 to 110 pounds, 38 to 60 inches
- Notable for: very high quality, good range, very comfortable for kids
- Overall: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I wrap up this line-up with a luxury option for those of you cruising for a more premium item. As usual, Nuna has crafted a beautiful piece in its AACE Booster Car Seat. It doesn’t get much better than this for quality and design. Besides being pretty, it supports high-back and backless modes, for a weight range of 40 to 110 pounds. Parents rave about how comfortable their kids find it, and note that it’s easy for kids to buckle themselves.