Hi everyone! Melissa here, excited to share a delicious dessert recipe with you today! This vanilla coconut cake recipe made from scratch would be a super impressive dessert to bring to an upcoming holiday party with friends or family.
You can follow this either as a bundt cake recipe or two loaf style cakes. Either way you choose to go, the fluffy cake with homemade glaze will look amazing sitting on any dessert table (and will be gone before you know it)!
Have little ones who don’t like coconut or friends and family who just prefer vanilla cake? You can leave out the coconut milk power and coconut flavoring for an equally delicious vanilla cake and glaze. It won’t be the simplest dessert you ever make, but you can take the opportunity to celebrate the season by going all out on this dessert. Enjoy!
Vanilla & Coconut Homemade Cake Recipe
Servings: 1 large bundt-style cake, or 2 loaf cakes
Prep time: 0:30
Total time: 1:30
• 1 c unsalted butter, softened
• 1¼ c granulated sugar
• ½ c dark brown sugar (or regular brown sugar), packed
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ c coconut milk powder- purchased @ kingarthurflour.com
• 1 Tbsp Vanilla bean paste or extract
• ¼ tsp coconut extract
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 4 large eggs, at room temperature
• 3 c Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
• ¾ c milk
• 4 ½ Tbsp water
• 2- 3 tsp Vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
• 1 cup glazing sugar or confectioner’s sugar
• 1 tspvanilla extract
• 3 tbsp heavy cream or 1½ tbsp milk
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour or spray with cooking spray two 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pans, or one 10 to 12-cup bundt-style pan.
2) To make the cake: Beat together the butter, sugars, salt, coconut milk powder, extracts and baking powder till fluffy. (Around 5+ minutes)
3) Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl often.
4) Mix in the flour and milk alternately, being sure the batter is well mixed after each addition
5) Spoon the batter into the prepared pan or pans, and smooth with a spatula. Tap pan(s) to get all air bubbles out.
6) Bake the cake in the loaf pans for 45 to 50 minutes and the bundt pan about 55 to 60 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
7) Remove cake(s) from the oven, and let sit for 15 minutes before removing from the pan and placing on a rack to cool.
8) To make the syrup: Mix the sugar and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the vanilla.
9) Brush the bottom of the cake lightly with a small amount of the syrup. Brush most of the syrup on top and sides of the cooling cake(s). Set aside on rack to cool completely before placing in storage container.
10) To make the glaze: Stir the glaze ingredients until smooth, adding a bit more cream, milk or sugar until the glaze is the consistency of molasses.
11) When the cake is cool, drizzle glaze over the top.