Hello mamas, especially soon-to-be-new mamas! What an exciting time! Today I want to talk to you about the pregnancy diet. What kinds of healthy and yummy foods should you be eating to nourish both yourself and your growing little baby? You’ll also be looking for nutritious food that can help boost your immune system and stave off that pregnancy fatigue. Think of this as a starting food guide for pregnant women, from one mother to another!
10 Foods for Pregnancy
- Figs – These are jam-packed with goodness. Eating these, you’ll be sure to get the calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, and more for yourself and your growing little one! The Vitamin B6 also is thought to alleviate morning sickness – and that’s good news for everyone!
- Carrots and Peppers – A perfect crunchy snack to grab on the go! These foods are loaded with beta-carotene, which can help in your baby’s development of skin, organ, and bones. The fiber also helps keep things running smoothly, if you know what I mean. Pack these in little baggies for an anytime snack.
- Mangoes – I LOVE mangoes and I craved them during my five pregnancies. Their vitamin C can regulate your digestive tract and alleviate constipation. If you’re expecting a late summer baby, these will definitely be in stock and ready to gobble up!
- Oats – If you’re struggling with constipation, opt for oats for breakfast during pregnancy. They can be eaten cold or baked into almost anything – cookies, cakes, pancakes, muffins, you name it. They are full of fiber, Vitamin B, and will help your baby grow!
- Grapefruit – Despite being acidic, these power fruits are actually great for pregnancy. They can help alleviate nausea by neutralizing your stomach acids, and they aid in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. A total super fruit and so delicious!
- Lean Meats – These protein-packed foods will keep you full for longer and the amino acids are vital for building your baby’s cells.
- Calcium – Make sure you’re getting your daily intake of calcium! It is one of the most important things to eat during pregnancy, as it will help in breast milk production and prevent osteoporosis. 4 calcium-rich foods are recommended as well as a prenatal vitamin to reach a daily dose of 1000 mg.
- Kiwis – These little fruits are small but important. Packed with vitamins and minerals like Vitamin C, E, A, Potassium, and Magnesium, they are overall a great addition to your pregnancy diet.
- Guava – Did you crave guava when you were pregnant like I did? No wonder, since they’re amazing for you. They can actually regulate your immune system and help your digestive system. For your little one, they help with the strengthening of their central nervous system. Great news!
- Lentils – These are a perfect go-to meal for anytime. Bursting with Vitamin B6 and Iron, these are easy on your intestines and vital for your baby’s brain and nervous system formation!
Also, let’s not forget water!! This isn’t technically a food, but make sure you’re drinking a lot when you’re expecting. Water has so many benefits, like helping in flushing out toxins, building new cells, and circulating nutrients to you and your growing baby.I hope these great food suggestions can help you and your pregnancy menu, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Best of luck and I am wishing you a very happy and healthy pregnancy!
Thanks for stopping by and make sure to check back for more! xo