Fake Supermom Recipe #3: Pumpkin Cake
- November 16, 2012
- by Melissa Lawrence
Who doesn’t love Fall, and especially Fall desserts? Win the “Best Mom” award this season with this super easy pumpkin dessert, a sweet recipe which will have your home smelling heavenly and your kids begging for more!
Here’s the latest recipe in my Fake Supermom series: an easy pumpkin cake that has been a real game-changer for me in my life as a mom! I make it for all the holidays, sometimes multiple times, and it’s perfect for morning coffee or dessert as it’s moist and not too sweet. I also give it to the kids for afternoon snack and it’s fabulous for school parties or bake sales. To fancy it up, you can also serve for dessert with fruit or ice cream. I call it a “no lose” recipe because it is VERY hard to get it wrong — if it stays in a bit long, it is a bit drier, but no one will ever notice! Take it out a wee bit early or on time, and it’s deliciously moist.
Your friends and family will be raving about you as a baker (and yes, they’ll say “I don’t know how you do it, you supermom!“) and you will be chuckling thinking that this recipe was nearly as easy as a box of cake mix.
- 1 (15 ounce) can Libby’s Pumpkin (*for the ambitious, you can use real pumpkin puree instead!)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup salad oil (i.e. vegetable oil)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp clove
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease and flour well a 9″ Bundt pan.
- Whip eggs for 3-4 minutes with sugar.
- Separately mix together flour with salt, clove, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add baking soda and incorporate well. Add entire dry mixture to the eggs and sugar gradually, incorporating well.
- Then, fold in the pumpkin and then the oil.
- Place your Bundt pan on a baking sheet (because it can bubble up top and will be very full), fill the pan with the batter and bake for 1 hour at 350F. I would insert a toothpick or fork and as soon as it comes out clean, I would take it out, even if it’s a few minutes early. Moist is good!
- Turn your cake onto a plate or cake plate with a doily and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar if desired!
What’s your favorite holiday dessert? Comment below – I would love to try it!