Hello everyone. Last week Marc and I heading off to London for 4 fun-filled days as my parents managed the fort at home. So this week’s Weekly Wrap Up offers up some ideas for what to do in London in case you’re hoping to get over there some day.
- See a London play. Upon arrival, we saw a British comedy, The Importance of Being Earnest — hilarious and a great way to tread through the jet lag. It’s hard to fall asleep when people are falling out of their chairs laughing beside you.
2. Trafalgar Square. Down the street from our hotel, St. Martin’s in the Fields looked so pretty against a clear blue sky. We had great weather (whereas it’s been pouring and cold in NYC since we returned, go figure!). Trafalgar Square also hosts the National Portrait Gallery and an amazing statue of British naval hero, Lord Nelson, who defeated Napoleon at The Battle of Trafalgar during the Napoleonic Wars.
3. Dine at Wolseley. Since Marc was in London to attend a conference for work, our evenings began with cocktail parties, but afterwards we managed to squeeze in some late dinners at a few fun restaurants in London such as this one at a London classic in Mayfair, Wolseley.
4. See Big Ben at night!
5. Drink beer and eat sausages. Try a local pub. Since we were attending a conference, we managed to do this during the cocktail hour, where the appetizers included sausages, sausages, and more sausages.
6. Dine at Rule’s. If you’re deciding where to eat in London, consider this one! London’s oldest restaurant. My favorite meal of the week featured roast beef, Yorkshire Pudding and spinach. I had never had Yorkshire pudding which resembles a buttery, doughy popover.
7. Experience high tea! High tea in London is a must. The Brits make tea into an art form and it really is it’s own little meal with scones, sandwiches and other treats, usually served late-afternoon.
During the day, I was able to catch up with some old friends, including my pal Deborah who is teaching in London now, having moved there with her husband and two young girls. We hadn’t seen each other in at least 15 years so that was one packed hour of discussing kids, marriage and life in general.
8. Walk the streets and observe the pretty buildings and churches. Here’s one that caught my eye against a gorgeous sky.
9. Visit Fortnum & Mason. This famous store offers cookies, biscuits, jams, teas and just about anything else you can think of that is sweet and yummy. I settled on two tins of chocolate-dipped biscuits for the kids, one of which has already been gobbled up.
10. Churchill War Rooms. The underground meeting hall from which Churchill ran Britain’s war operations during WWII will enthrall history buffs. Really hoping to return someday and show this to the boys.
After four fun-filled days, we headed home rejuvenated and refreshed and so excited to see the kiddos!
So now I’m BACK and here are my weekly resolutions:
- Read to Marielle — this is not the first time you’ve seen this one. At night, I’m absorbed by the older kids who need help with homework and getting ready for the next day that it’s hard to dedicate this sacred reading time to my littlest.
- Bake some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for snack.
- Sort through my winter sweaters. The weather has turned now and summer is officially OVER.
- Start to think about Halloween costumes — yikes! That snuck up on me, didn’t it.
- Keep reading my book – the fourth in Elena Ferrarante’s series (which has become quite popular), The Story of the Lost Child. Since school has started, my reading has taken a dive.
- WORK! So excited to report that we have a lot of fun giveaway coming up and I’ve got some amazing products sitting here next to me in my laundry room/office. Now we just have to dig into them and shoot some awesome photos.
Sending love and if it’s raining where you are too, stay dry!
Prize: One (1) $50 Amazon gift card.
- Enter using the Rafflecopter widget below.
- Open to U.S readers.
- You must be 18 or older to enter.
- You have multiple ways you can enter to increase your chances of winning.
- The giveaway ends on Saturday, October 10, 2015 at 11:59 PM (Eastern Time).
- Winner will be announced on the widget below within 48 hours after the giveaway has ended.
Thanks for stopping by and make sure to check back for more! xo