In the spring, when the weather turns consistently pleasant…at least in NYC, I start looking for easy one pot meals to feed my family so there is more time for outside activities! I found just the perfect fit with this family friendly pasta with broccoli recipe from the talented and practical Lisa Pisano of mom a la mode.
Pin for later!
One-Pot Wonderful Pasta with Broccoli
2-3 fresh broccoli crowns or 1 full head broccoli, cut into florets (use stem, too – just peel and cut into 1 inch pieces)
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 TBSP good olive oil, with more on reserve
2/3-cup organic chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup or 2 ladlefuls of reserved pasta water, set aside while pasta is cooking
2 TBSP Salted Butter
¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 lb. pasta (spaghetti, rotelle or bow ties are popular with this dish)
Coarsely ground pepper and salt
– Fill a large stock pot with water and bring to a boil.
– Add cut up broccoli and blanch until florets turn Emerald Green (the water will be green, too). Remove with a spider or slotted spoon and place cooked broccoli in a bowl on the side.
– Reserve your pasta water in a cup.
– Cook pasta in “green water” according to directions, less 1-minute for al dente.
– Drain pasta and let it sit in colander while you finish your recipe.
– Add 2 TBSPs olive oil into same pot and the chopped garlic. Sauté over medium heat, careful not to burn the garlic.
-Add the broccoli (be careful – if there’s still some water it will splatter a bit) and sauté for a few minutes.
-Add the pasta back to the pot, and carefully stir. Add the broth, and gradually add the pasta water in, eyeballing to your taste (if you prefer this more liquidly, add more – if you prefer it just glistening, hold back)
-Carefully stir mixture together and add remaining olive oil, butter, cheese and black pepper/salt.
– Can be served hot, lukewarm or cold.
You might also like:
Do you have any easy one pot meals to share? Please add them below – I would love to try them.
Thanks for stopping by and make sure to check back for more! xo