Hi everyone. Back by popular demand, here is #2 of my first cooking series, Fake Supermom Recipes! Sent to you from me with love and intended for those of us who TRY to do what Martha does, but never, ever could…
Okay, so to all us moms who are used to using thermometers for our babies and kids, here’s a recipe with a thermometer! A candy thermometer, that is. I know, I know, I see the word thermometer and I run the other way, but this one just isn’t so hard. And guess what, it’s brought to you from my pal Joseph Manning who promised me that it is not in fact so difficult, it’s just intimidating. So, mamas, face your fears and get down with me and the apples and the thermometer today — you can do it!
And try it with Daddy and the kids before Halloween. Fun Halloween activity and a special treat for all. There’s an apple in there too so it can’t be the most sugary thing they’ll eat at this time of year!
Fake Supermom Caramel Apples Recipe
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or a dash more)
- 10 to 12 Popsicle sticks
- 10 to 12 medium apples (tart), washed, dried, AND refrigerated!
- Candy thermometer
- Wax paper
- 1 cup salted peanuts, chopped (optional *make sure no allergies*)
- Shredded dried coconut (optional)
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter and add the brown sugar, corn syrup and salt.
- Cook and stir (frequently) over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in milk. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248°F. ** USE THIS B/C OTHERWISE SUGAR CAN BURN**
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Insert Popsicle sticks into chilled apples.
- Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture; turn to coat.
- Dip bottom of apples into peanuts if desired (and no allergies!) and/or in the shredded coconut! You might want to try doing a few in the coconut and a few in the peanuts and keeping some plain, just for variety.
- Place on greased waxed paper until set.
So that’s it. Make this and you officially join my Fake Supermom Club! Oh, and don’t forget to email me the picture! You are going to be so proud!